Friday, August 2, 2013

becoming a buddy

(I'm a few days late on this one, but I'm late for everything, so I guess it's no surprise.)

Sunday was Jayson's and my first wedding anniversary. 365 days since this day, which feels like only yesterday.





People often ask me what my favorite thing about our first year of marriage has been. And my answer is always something like this...

I guess it all starts to back when we were dating, but about to get engaged. I was with my family, but Jayson wasn't there. My grandfather, who has dementia and was 82 at the time, asked me, "Where's your buddy?"

It was so cute and sweet, and I told Jayson about the comment afterwards. And since then, we've often said, "You're my buddy."

And that's my favorite thing about being married. I have a buddy. I was single before - on my own, navigating life with the help of family and friends, but still a party of one. And now I have a person. A person to live with, to share life with, to problem-solve with. A person to love and know, and who loves and knows me more than anyone in the world, too. A person to laugh at silly things with, to go to sleep with, to cry with, to, Lord willing, grow old with. A buddy.

I'm so grateful for my buddy, my best friend, my husband. I love you, Jayson!

[All photos by Stephen DeVries]

1 comment:

  1. This post blesses my heart and is such a picture of how God is so faithful. What an answer to those prayers I prayed daily for you your whole life.

    ReplyDelete